In this post I will show you how to install Teradata Express (VMware) version 16.20 on VMware Workstation 15.5.0 Player on the Windows operating system.
A few words about technologies
Teradata Express is a free, pre-configured and fully functional Teradata database that you can run in just a few minutes. To run it you do not need any licenses or knowledge of Linux – you just need to download and implement a fully functional database on the virtual machine. Teradata Express is a great tool for people starting their adventure with this database, wanting to learn more about its functions or test its functions on new data.
VMware Workstation Player is a virtual machine. It allows you to run an isolated operating system on one computer. It can be used as a tool for non-commercial purposes, e.g. educational, but also as a business tool providing support for the corporate desktop on a BYO device.
If you do not have these tools yet …
… I will show you where to download them. You can download the Teradata Express database for free here. In this post I will use the Teradata Express (VMware) 16.20 version.
You can find the virtual machine at this link. I am currently using version 15.5.0.
Installation of Teradata Express
1. Install VMware Player or open an existing tool
2. Extract the contents of the package downloaded for Teradata Express (VMware)
3. Select Open a Virtual Machine
4. Select the file with the extension .vmx, for me it is TDExpress16.20_Sles11.vmx
All Teradata virtual disks have been automatically mounted and the machine is ready to start.
Running Teradata Express on a virtual machine
1. To start Teradata Express, select Power on the toolbar or Play virtual machine
2. You will be asked for a login and password, in both cases enter root.
You should see the desktop with Teradata tools (it may be different depending on the version). For me it looks like this:
3. Select Start Teradata to start all database services
Launch of Teradata Studio Express
1. There is a shortcut to Teradata Studio Express on the virtual machine desktop, which allows us to manage operations on a database. Run it
2. Add a new connection by selecting Database Connections -> New
3. Select the Teradata connection type and enter the connection name. The connection description is optional. Then click Next
4. Enter the localhost as the server name, username and password is dbc. Then check the connection by selecting Test Connection
You should receive information about successful connection to the server.
5. Click OK and then Finish to exit the connection configuration tab.
If you enjoyed this post please add the comment below or share this post on your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or another social media webpage.
Thanks in advanced!