In this training you will learn:
- What is Talend and what tools does it provide
- History of the Talend
- Which tools are available for free
- What is data integration
- What possibilities does Talend for Data Integration give us
Talend is a specialized group of tools dealing with data processing and preparation. It appeared on the market in 2005 and was the first commercial provider to introduce an open-source data integration tool. For several years, Talend has been considered a leader in the field of data integration software (Gartner Magic Quadrant). Undoubtedly, it is also one of the fastest growing comapny providing software in the field of data integration, Big Data data integration and cloud integration solutions.
All tools can be divided into two groups: tools available with Talend license or free tools available under Apache 2.0 license. All free tools are known as Talend Open Studio (TOS). The tools available with Talend license are:
- data integration (Talend Data Integration),
- big data integration (Talend Big Data Integration),
- data quality (Talend Data Quality),
- preparing data (Talend Data Preparation),
- cloud integration (Cloud Integration),
- load data quickly (Stitch Data Loader),
- API management (Cloud API Services).
In most Talend tools you do not have to write your code, you can do most of the operations you need using Drag and Drop components. The tool automatically generates Java code.
History of the Talend
- 2005 – Talend is founded
F. Bonan and B. Diard founde Talend, which is to be a response to continuous data growth and the lack of a simple tool to integrate and manage data from one cockpit.
- 2008 – first conference
Three years after the founding of Talend, they organized the first conference which gathered many experts and clients who were able to learn about tools and exchange knowledge and experience.
- 2012 – Talend Big Data
A few years later, Talend introduces a tool for collecting, processing and managing big data sets (Talend Big Data). This tool is optimized for structured, unstructured, partially structured and machine generated data.
- 2015 – Talend Coud
In 2015, Talend introduces solution for cloud data integration. The solution works as an iPaaS (Integration Platform-as-a-Service) platform, enabling both hybrid and cloud integration.
- 2016 – NASDAQ (TLND)
The one year later, Talend goes public on the NASDAQ (TLND)
Talend Open Studio
Talend Open Studio, according to the End User Software and Subscription Agreement, is a group of specialized, open-source tools available under the Apache license. TOS tools include:
- Open Studio for Data Integration,
- Open Studio for Big Data,
- Data Preparation – Free Deskop,
- Open Studio for ESB,
- Open Studio for Data Quality,
- Stitch Data Loader.
Because this training is about TOS for Data Integration, let’s introduce the concept of data integration.
The data integration allows companies to manage data from various sources. Very often the concept of data integration is identified with ETL (Extract-Transform-Load) processes or data warehouse. However, the data warehouse is a much broader concept. Data integration processes very often focus on building a new or developing an existing data warehouse.
The data integration consists in combining data from various sources into one, unified view for the company. It starts with the data processing and includes stages such as cleaning, ETL mapping, transformations, and finally loading the correct data into the target system. Data integration ultimately enables analytical tools to create effective, workable business analysis.
The goal of data integration is to ensure consistency in the data warehouse, clean up the data, and sometimes apply additional business logic. Data cleaning consists in eliminating duplicates, throwing away the so-called “dirty” records, incomplete or containing incorrect data. A very important aspect of data integration is the elimination of information silos in the company. This process involves establishing a common conceptual language for both business and technical terminology. The technical part focuses on the best matching of object names to best reflect business processes.
What possibilities does Talend for Data Integration give us
TOS has a number of available components that enable work with the most of databases, cloud computing and a number of various network services. Thanks to the ready-made component palette, the user can easily and quickly build integration processes. The Talend Open Studio tool allows you to run integration processes directly from the programming environment and as a standalone Java script.
Talend for Data Integration is primarily:
- Fast and agile integration – thanks to ready components, preparation and implementation of integration becomes much simpler and faster from a technical point of view.
- Collaboration of the entire team – thanks to impact analysis and version control, you can collaborate with the entire team without worrying about your processes.
- Easy management – the tool offers advanced planning and monitoring functions thanks to which you can see emerging problems and can quickly fix them.