In this post I will show you how to compare two files in Notepad++. In the latest versions of the tool (such as v7.8.1 or higher), installing the Compare plugin is extremely simple and quick.
Table of Contents
What Is Notepad++?
Notepad++ is a free and open-source text editor for Windows. The project was started in September 2003 by Don Ho. Notepad++ supports various languages, has a wide range of features and plugins, and is highly customizable.
Notepad++ is a great choice for a text editor for a variety of reasons. It’s free and open-source, it has a wide range of features, it’s highly customizable, and it supports a variety of languages.
It also has a customizable interface, with options for changing the font, colors, and layout of the editor. In addition, Notepad++ has support for macros, allowing users to record and play back series of actions in the editor. It is a popular choice for developers and other advanced users due to its speed and features.
If you’re looking for a text editor that can do it all, Notepad++ is definitely worth checking out. In the below headings you will find the information how compare 2 files in Notepad++?
Compare Two Files In Notepad++
A few back versions comparing files in Notepad++ was possible after downloading and installing the Compare plugin or installing it directly through Plugin Manager. In the latest versions of the tool, you no longer have to download Compare manually, and Plugin Manager has evolved into Plugins Admin.
Install The Compare Plugin (Notepad ++ Compare)
The first thing which we have to do is to install Compare plugin to our Notepad++ instance. To do this use the following list of steps:
1.In the menu bar select Plugins -> Plugins Admin…
2. In the Search field, insert Compare. The automatically searched plugin will be found in the list. Select it by clicking on Checkbox and then select Install
3. Notepad++ will ask for permission to restart the tool, click Yes
Ready! So far, we have installed the missing plugin. The installation was successful and we can proceed to the next step. Let’s see if everything works.
Plugin Test – Notepad++ Compare 2 Files
No take a look at the following screenshot, which presents where you can find previously installed Compare plugin.
1. If you have two open files in Notepad++, select Plugins -> Compare -> Compare, or Crtl+Alt+C shortcut.
2. You should see the result of comparing your files. For me it looks like this:
In this post I have described how to compare two files in Notepad++. Please find the brief summary.
To compare two files in Notepad++, follow these steps:
- Open" both of the files you want to compare in Notepad++.
- Go to the “Plugins” menu and select “Compare” from the list of available plugins.
- A new window will Open" showing a comparison of the two files. The differences between the two files will be highlighted in different colors.
- You can use the navigation buttons at the top of the window to move between the differences in the files.
- You can also use the “Synchronize scrollbars” option to automatically scroll both files at the same time when you navigate through the differences.
- If you want to make any changes to the files, you can do so in either of the two original file windows". The changes will be reflected in the comparison window as well.
Alternatively, you can also use the “Compare” plugin to compare two selected blocks of text within the same file. To do this, simply select the blocks of text you want to compare and then go to the “Plugins” menu and select “Compare.”
Could You Please Share This Post? I appreciate It And Thank YOU! :) Have A Nice Day!
How can I compare two text files?
You can compare two text files using Notepad++ tool for instance. Please find the example how to do this under: https://bigdata-etl.com/how-to-compare-two-files-in-notepad-v7-8-1/
Can Notepad++ compare folders?
Yes. Using the same “Compare” plugin. Please find more details: https://bigdata-etl.com/how-to-compare-two-files-in-notepad-v7-8-1/
How does Notepad++ compare data in two files?
Notepad++ compares two data files line by line. You can use “Compare” plugin to compare two files. Please find more details: https://bigdata-etl.com/how-to-compare-two-files-in-notepad-v7-8-1/
What is the best way to compare two files?
Definitely to use some tool to do this automatically and fast. You can use the Notepad++ tool to compare two files. Please find the example how to do this under: https://bigdata-etl.com/how-to-compare-two-files-in-notepad-v7-8-1/
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?